Northeast Catholic Alumni Association, Inc.

   
Northeast Catholic Alumni Association, Inc.
 
  
    Home |  About | Charities | Alumni Store | News | Events History |Members  | Class Info  | Contact
 
 
 

 
President
Edward J. White, '55
..................................
First Vice President
John T. Musial, '63
..................................
Second Vice President
Henry J. Stahl, '66
..................................
Third Vice President
John J. Barnes, '89
..................................
Fourth Vice President
Brian C. Darreff, '74
..................................
Secretary
John F. Handley, '58
..................................
Executive Secretary-Treasurer
Leonard F. Knobbs, '53
..................................
Assistant Secretary
Robert M. Woltjen, '83
..................................
First Assistant Treasurer

John R. Hanejko, '65

..................................
Second Assistant Treasurer
Jeffrey W. Brown, '79
..................................
Historian
Anthony J. Colletta, '72
..................................
Chaplain
Rev. Neil F. Kilty, OSFS, '59

Northeast Catholic Alumni Association, Inc.

Anthony J. Colletta

Edward J. White

Class of '55
On June 10, 1929, just two days before graduation, the ninety-seven young men of the Class of 1929 met at a banquet at a center city hotel. During the course of the evening, Father George A. Mahoney, OSFS, the immensely popular Class Moderator, broached the subject of forming an alumni association. His suggestion was overwhelmingly approved by his proteges. Officially, the Northeast Catholic Alumni Association was born.

The first order of business was to select the leaders of this fledgling organization. The Class unanimously elected John J. Commy, President; Paul M. Kennedy, Vice President; Gerard L. Klauder, Secretary; and John S. Walsh, Treasurer. The officers selected a committee consisting Edward G. Burgoyne, John A. Cavanaugh, John P. Clark, John H. (Swede) Mallon, and Francis T. McKee to assist them in managing the Association. Thus, the first Board of Governors was established.


In 1953, after numerous changes to the way the Association was managed, an equally enterprising group led by President ''Chick'' Quinn, '36, and Treasurer Joe McKeown, '33, began the process of incorporating the Association. The final step in our gradual emergence as a full-fledged organization was accomplished on August 15, 1955 when the Articles of Incorporation were approved by Common Pleas Judge Charles A. Waters.

Leonard F. Knobbs
Class of '53

From our inauspicious beginning, we have grown in the ensuing seventy-seven years to the point where more than 39,000 men earned the title Northeast Catholic Alumnus of whom more than 31,000 are still with us. Currently, we boast of an active membership of almost 5,000. If you are an alumnus and would like to become an active member, complete the form and mail with your check.

The purpose of the Association is now as it has been since the first constitution was adopted in 1929. The object of this Association shall be to form a more perfect brotherhood, to create fraternalism and good fellowship among the graduates, clergy, and supporters of the Northeast Catholic High School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

A major example of our commitment to this objective is FALCONWAY, our combined fund raising tool which benefits our three favorite charities: Northeast Catholic Alumni Memorial Scholarship Fund, Inc., Save Northeast Catholic Fund, Inc., and the Oblates of St. Francis deSales.

The Association is administered by the Executive Board which consists of the eleven elected officers and the Board of Governors. The Board of Governors consists of two elected Class Representatives from each graduating class. Currently, there are 83 men on the Board.


 

back to top

©2004 necathalumni.com
all rights reserved

Northeast Catholic Alumni Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 4896, Philadelphia, PA 19124-0896
phone 215.289.4994 :: fax 215.289.9336 :: infonecath@necathalumni.com